Sunday, September 20, 2015

Biscuits For Presents

I just love homemade biscuits.  They are delicious,  decadent and absolutely yummy with a cup of tea.  More importantly,  they are very frugal to make.

Whenever I'm stuck for a present,  homemade baking comes to the rescue.  My favourite biscuits to give are Cranberry Hootycreek biscuits, Anzac biscuits and Peanut Butter Choc Chip Biscuits.

For hungry teenage boys I've made giant Peanut Butter Choc Chip Biscuits.  I place a large amount of dough on a lined baking tray,  flatten out with the palm of my hand then neaten the edges with my fingers to give a lovely round shape.  They do need a few extra minutes for baking.  I place 2 or 3 in a large cellophane bag tied with a tartan ribbon  Placed in a gift bag with a can of Lynx deodorant,  it makes a great male birthday present. for about $5  Let me tell you,  birthday boys have gratefully received these giant biscuits.  One of Jessica's friends bought one to school in his lunchbox and woofed it down at recess.  His friends were drooling.

Sometimes when I get a present out to wrap,  it looks like it needs something extra.  That's when I whip out a log of biscuit dough from the freezer and do some baking.  Neatly placing 8 - 10 medium sized biscuits in a large cellophane bag and tying a bow with ribbon,  lace or netting  achieves an elegant present worth $10 - $15 retail.  Realistically it costs less than $1 to make.

For a family present or Kris Kringle,  I buy glass jars from the $2 shop and fill with homemade biscuits.  I print out the recipe and place it in an envelope and tie it to the lid.  You can add a small decoration or garland to the bow to add extra style.    

Here are some photos of biscuit presents I've made -

A male Christmas present.




.A jar of biscuits from the Christmas story I filmed last year.  Total cost of this present was about $3 - $3.50



 

Presents tied with homemade gift tags and ribbon made from netting -







Here is a link to a blog post I wrote on making gift tags.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment