Monday, April 6, 2015

Card Making On A Budget

Recently I've taken up card making in a big way.  As you know I'm on a tight budget and cannot afford all the fancy gizmos and gadgets that are used to make beautiful cards.  The stamps,  card stock,  cut outs,  hole punches,  tape,  water pens,  ink pads etc etc etc and the list goes on.  Sure,  I'd love to buy a few items some time in the future if the price is right.  But for now I've made do with what I had on hand and only purchased the blank cards and envelopes.

My first attempt at card making.

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination and wouldn't dream of showing you how to make amazing cards.  I just thought it would be helpful to let you know how I've made my cards for under 50 cents each.

Firstly I bought some blank cards from the $2 shop.  Other cheap shops sell them but you'll be paying $2.50 plus per pack.  Remember,  I'm doing this to save money not to spend any more than I need to.  Check the pack to see how many cards are in there and that envelopes are included.  Some will have 6 or 8 cards.  I always choose the 8 card packs.

Some of my card supplies.

Make sure you pick colors you can use.  No point in picking brown cards if no one likes the color.  I choose pale pink,  pale green,  white and purple to start with.  Since then I've added red,  cream and dark pink to the collection. Some $2 shops sell packets of A4 colored card.  I found some in a beautiful pearly purple color and there were 6 sheets in there.  I cut each sheet in half getting 12 cards for $2.  There were no envelopes with it but I can make these easily with plain paper I have on hand.  Spotlight also sells packets of A4 card 20 per pack for just under $5.  Cut each one in half to get 40 cards.


I already had some stamps and two ink pads ( purple and pink )  bought in a discount store many years ago.  If you have children,  dig through their craft boxes to see if they have stamps and ink pads.  If not,  you only need to purchase a few basic ones to get started.   E bay might be an option for you.  Here are the ones I have.

My old ink pads that are over 10 years old.


Many uses for these few stamps.

A Spotlight clearance bargain for $6

I purchased the paper doilies from Kmart but $2 shops also sell packets of them.  If you buy the smallest size available you'll get many more in the pack.

Doilies are punch outs.

Other items that you'll have on hand are -

*  Wrapping paper.  Look for ones that have pictures to cut out.  Also paper with writing on like happy birthday are great too.  You can cut out the writing to stick on the cards..  Have a dig in your wrapping paper box.  I did and was amazed at what I could use. Make sure you save any usable wrapping paper from birthday parties.  Even scraps can be used as a border strip down the side of the card.

Paper from my present box.

*  Buttons,  lace,  ribbon,   beads,  sequins,  stickers and old birthday cards are all handy to use.  Start saving anything that's useful.  Even scraps.  Save the ribbon from toiletry packs,  presents and clothing,   Op shops are worth checking too.  Christmas garlands come on clearance on Boxing Day.

Christmas garlands bought on clearance.

Embellishments picked up over the years.

Recycled and bought ribbon.

*  Glue sticks,  PVA glue and a hot glue guns are all useful tools.  I always have a heap of glue sticks for school use.  These are great for sticking paper bits onto the card.  PVA is for sticking card cut outs onto to card if you think the glue stick isn't strong enough.  I use the hot glue gun for embellishments like buttons and material flowers.

Gluing and cutting tools.

*   Magazines.  Do you have any gardening magazines or homemaking ones ?  You could find plenty to cut out from them. . 


HANDY HINTS -

*  Before you start sticking things onto your card,  place all the bits onto the card to see if it looks right.  Then go for it.

*  Clean your stamps in between uses.  Some people use baby wipes.  I just use water and a tissue to blot the water away.

*  If you make a card you really like,  get a production line going and make a few.  Maybe in different colors.  This will save you lots of time.

*  Keep all your card making supplies in a box.  Having it all in one place makes life easier.  If you're in the mood for card making you just need to grab your box.  Easy  !!!


Are you inspired to have a go at card making ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment