Friday, April 10, 2015

This Week's Frugal Tasks 11th April 2015

It's been a great week in the Gower house.  We've had some lovely family time celebrating Easter.  We've cooked, baked,  cleaned, crafted, gardened and shopped.  Here's my frugal list for the week -


* Mended a bath towel.  The side seam was coming apart with lots of loose threads.  So I got the sewing machine out and sewed a new hem before it got too bad. 

*  Made lots of pumpkin soup with the pumpkins Cath gave me.  Some soup was put in the freezer.

*  Cut up lots of pumpkin to put in the freezer.  My friend Cath told me you could freeze it if you are going to use it for roasts.  This is a great idea as sometimes I have a small bit of pumpkin left after a few meals.  Now I'll just cut it and freeze it before it goes off.

*  Bought lots of Lindt chocolate bunnies on sale in Kmart on Easter Sunday for $2.25.  I bought enough to put away for Mother's Day,  Father's Day,  Anniversary,  Birthdays and Christmas.  Yes,  we bought heaps but all will be used.

*  Gratefully received some glass jars from my sister in law.

*  Made a few birthday cards with bits and pieces I had on hand

*  Cut out lots of flowers from brochures I picked up at the flower show.  These will be used for card making.

*  Dried the washing on the line and clothes horses.

*  Refilled my kitchen foaming hand wash dispenser with homemade solution.

*  Gratefully received a whole cooked chicken.  There was enough meat for two meals of pizzas.  This has been frozen for future use.  All the bones were put in the slow cooker overnight and made into stock.

*  Baked four loaves of wholemeal bread.

*  Gratefully received some stationery from a shop that was closing down.  We were given two staplers and staples,  two calculators,  twine,  removable hooks and spare tabs,  sticky tape,  double sided tape and a stack of plastic stationery drawers that Darren will use to store his bulbs for the garden.

*  Picked about 10 raspberries most days.

*  Recycled all the wrapping paper and a gift bag from some flowers and chocs that were delivered.

*  Stewed some apples that were getting a little old.  The cooked apples were divided into containers and frozen.  This will be used for apple crumble.

*  Saved lots of water from the washing machine for each next load.  Also saved the warm up water from the shower.

Megan gave me morning tea on a tray.
Jessica took a photo of me in front of the feijoa bush
One of our beautifully fragrant rose.
Saving water from the washing machine.

What did you do this week to save time,  money and energy ?

No comments:

Post a Comment