Sunday, November 22, 2015

Making Oven Mitts From Pot Holders

Do you have a collection of pot holders that you don't use ?  If you're like me,  I prefer oven mitts to get cooking and baking out of the oven.  I also use chopping boards to rest hot food on.

Those pesky little pot holders are just annoying when they come in a pack with an oven mitt and tea towel. I tend to buy two of those packs so that I can have two oven mitts to use.  I'll admit that I've thrown out a few pot holders over the years and donated some to the local op shop.

Not any more.  One day a few months ago I was looking at my collection of pot holders and thought there has to be a way to use them.  Because I buy two oven mitt sets,  I end up with two matching pot holders.  So I got out my sewing machine thinking I could sew them together to form an oven mitt.  Unfortunately they were too thick to fit under the machine foot ( I think that's what you call it ).

I was a little annoyed but not deterred.  So I got out my collection of sewing needles.  After a bit of trial and error I found a sharp yet thick  needle to sew through all the layers.

I put the right sides out and sewed around the pot holders leaving enough room to slip my hand in.

Yay  !! They worked.  For about 10 minutes of my time I was able to make something useful for my kitchen.

Here's what they look like.




No comments:

Post a Comment