Saturday, August 2, 2014

This Week's Frugal Tasks

This week has been an interesting week in the Gower household.  It was a week of firsts for all of us.  On Monday afternoon I flew out from Melbourne Airport to go to the Gold Coast for a few days to film another story for tv.  This was the first time in 24 years that I'd travelled by myself.  The first time I'd been in a taxi by myself in over 26 years and certainly the first time I'd taken a taxi from Narre Warren to the airport.

It was also the first time I'd travelled without my husband and two daughters.  I must admit that it was a strange feeling and I felt all grown up.  I did meet up with the camera crew the next day and all was right in my world again.  They took good care of me and were very kind.

Trying to prepare a menu plan  for my family was a challenge.  They all said they'd be fine and would take it in turns of cooking each night.   So for the first time in about ten years there was no menu plan to follow.  It was a little strange to leave the family to fend for themselves but if they'd really got stuck for meal ideas,  there was a stash of single serve leftover meals in the freezer.

We all survived and my family didn't starve.  The house was still standing and tidy when I came home.

When I looked at my list of frugal tasks for this week,  it was a little on the slim side.  So in the last two days I've tried to get a few things done so that I wouldn't be embarrassed to post the two tasks I completed before I went away.

So here's my frugal tasks list -

*  Made cranberry hootycreek biscuits for the biscuit ( cookie ) jar.

*  Made lemon butter with lemons from our tree and eggs from our chooks.



Lemon butter.  So yummy on toast  !!!



*  Made room air freshener.

*  On the cold days I closed the toilet and laundry doors so that I wasn't heating the whole house.

*  Packed water and snacks from home for my trip.

*  Closed the curtains a little earlier on cold days.

*  Filled up the cars with petrol when it was cheap and used discount fuel dockets.

*  Gave homemade peanut butter choc chip biscuits with a present for my Mother in Law's birthday.

*  My daughter made honey mustard chicken from scratch while I was away.

*  Brought the free muffin from the plane home for someone to eat.

*  Made strawberry yoghurt.

*  Picked 5 broccoli heads from the veg garden and blanched them for the freezer.

Broccoli still growing rwo weeks ago




Freshly picked broccoli


*  Picked silverbeet from the garden for a meal.

*  Cut up a cereal box to add 2 page dividers to my price book.

*  Cut up the cereal liner bag to use as go between for freezing food.


What did you do this week that was frugal in any way,  shape or form ?

No comments:

Post a Comment