Monday, November 10, 2014

Pumpkin Scones

Pumpkin scones are a family favourite in my home.  Infact,  they have been a favourite for a very long time.  My grandpa loved to eat them too.  Although I didn't start making them until after he passed away,  I make them in honour of him.   I can just imagine him licking his finger to pick up the crumbs off his plate - just like he did with any food.

1 cup of cold, mashed and drained pumpkin
2 1/2 cups of self raising flour
1 egg
1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 cup of sugar

Cream the sugar and butter together.  Add the egg and mashed pumpkin and mix until combined.

Add the self raising flour and mix in with a dough hook or wooden spoon.

Turn onto a floured surface and lightly knead into a ball. 

Roll the dough out until it's about an inch high.

Cut with a round cookie cutter and place in a greased baking tin.

Bake for 15 -20 minutes at 200 degrees celcius

Serve with lashing of butter.


NOTES -

*  I use Jap pumpkin for flavour and price.

*  When pumpkin is on sale ( under $1 a kilo ) I buy a few whole pumpkins and store them on their sides in a dark cupboard.

*  Cook up a lot of pumpkin at a time. I use a vegetable steamer for the microwave.

*  Drain the pumpkin in the fridge for about 4 - 6 hours using a fine colander with a bowl underneath.

*  I freeze pumpkin in 1 cup measures for this recipe.  That way I have pumpkin on hand at any given time.

*  I use an electric mixer for this recipe.  I use the whisk beater for the wet ingredients then switch to the dough hook when I add the flour.

*  Scones can be frozen for at least a few months.

The finished product

Draining the cooked pumpkin

Pumpkin ready for freezing for future use.

Cutting the dough

Ready to bake

Pumpkin scones galore

No comments:

Post a Comment